This dish screams spring in the country. The chorizo used was a little spicy. Wakes you up and makes you pay attention. Of course the colours of the dish are attention grabbing on their own merit. Its always welcome when a dish tastes as good as it promises.
Serve with maybe couscous and salad with of-course chilled white wine. Bon Apetit!
Baked Chicken with Chorizo
- 1 Good quality Italian Chorizo Sausage
- 6 Chicken thigh Cutlets
- 1 whole garlic
- 1 punnet mini roma tomatoes
- 2 lebanese eggplants
- 1 red onion
- 1 bunch mini roma tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- salt, pepper to taste
- Fresh Thyme, don’t be shy with it.
1. Prepare your chicken. Take the skin off and the fat from the underside. Rinse, place onto baking dish not too snuggly as you want room for the vegetables.
2. Slice Chorizo sausage with a cleaned knife, not too thinly ( abou t 2cm ) as the chorizo will cook faster than the chicken and will burn if cut too thin.
3. Slice lebanese eggplants into about 2cm wide slices.
4. Chop the onion cut into large pieces. Try to make about 8 cubes depending on the size of the onion.
5. Clean about half of the garlic and the other half leave the skin on. The ones you have left the skin on will retain its shape. Garlic isn’t spicy when cooked but soft in the middle.
6. Place your vegetables and chorizo in the dish between the chicken pieces. Drizzle lemon, and olive oil. Lastly add the oregano, salt and pepper and half of the fresh thyme springs. Leave the other half to add to the end.
7. Bake for approximately 40 mins. Half way through turn the chicken over cook and turn the chicken again right side up. Turn your oven off leave dish in the over for 5-10 mins before serving.
*Couscous and salad is a perfect accompaniment to this dish.